This flatbread is a BEAR staple lunch dish, and a perfect one to try for Veganuary! It's been on our menu (in some variation) since we opened our Iron Gate, Derby store back in 2017 and it's been a crowd favourite ever since. To make this recipe easier to recreate at home, I've done a bit of searching around to find supermarket alternatives closest to the ingredients we use (photos below), but feel free to use whatever you can get your hands on instead! We use all-vegan ingredients to make this in store, so if you want to do the same then just take care to double check packaging to make sure the ingredients you're buying suit what you need.
1 Ready-made Flatbread
20g Pickled Fennel (click here > for recipe)
4 Falafel Balls
¼ Orange, segmented
15g Pink Pickled Onions (click here > for recipe)
15/20ml Harissa Sauce, depending on how spicy you like it! (if you can only get hold of a paste, just dilute it down with a little water or oil)
Chopped mint and / or coriander to finish
Here are a few screenshots of ingredients that are most similar to the ones we use and quite readily available from supermarkets. The flatbread from Morrisons is the closest to the ones we use, and the falafels from Aldi are the best supermarket falafels I've personally tried. As I said before, if you want to make sure this easy recipe is completely vegan, just make sure to double check packaging before you purchase your ingredients.
- Heat falafel as per manufacturer's instructions. We fry ours to ensure a nice crisp outside but oven heating works fine too.
- When the falafels are about ready, pop your flatbread in the oven at 180 - 200°C - not for long, probably only about 30 seconds! You just want to soften it, don’t allow it to cook too much or go crispy.
- Take warm flatbread out of oven and spread hummus all over.
- Sprinkle your rocket and pickled fennel over the top.
- Break the falafels in 2 and place over the flatbread.
- Drizzle over the harissa.
- Scatter the pieces of orange around the flatbread then top with the pink onions and herbs.
- Roll it, cut it, tear it, however you eat it, enjoy!